Tooth Replacement in Rochester NY for a Cracked Tooth
Breaking or cracking a tooth can be a painful event. We expect our teeth to be able to withstand most accidents and eating hard or crunchy foods, but cracking a tooth is actually a very common occurrence. For some, you might notice right away that your tooth has cracked. It may be painful, or you may immediately notice a crack. For others, however, the crack might be more subtle and unnoticeable. It is imperative to have a cracked tooth fixed as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your mouth. If you need a tooth replacement in Rochester, your Rochester periodontist can help.
What Causes a Tooth to Crack?
There can be many reasons why your tooth might suddenly crack. The most common reason for a tooth to crack is age. As you age, your enamel weakens, which actually weakens the integrity of the whole tooth. In fact, the likelihood that you will need to have a tooth replaced increases after age 65. 
Other common reasons a tooth might crack include:
- Chewing hard foods (hard candy) or other items (pens, pencils)
- Accidents, such as car wrecks or falls that cause direct damage to your jaw or mouth
- Grinding your teeth
- Large fillings and root canal treatments that weaken the tooth structure
Symptoms of a Cracked Tooth
The most common symptom of a cracked tooth is pain. It seems like it would be painful for your tooth to split, but the pain actually comes from exposed nerve endings in the pulp of your tooth. So you may actually only notice the pain when you drink something hot, or cold, or when you bite down. The gum tissue around the cracked tooth may also become swollen and tender. It is important to note that there are not always obvious symptoms of a cracked tooth, which is another important reason to have regular check-ups with your dental professional.
Options for Tooth Replacement in Rochester NY
Replacing the cracked tooth with a dental implant might be the best option for you. Dental implants have several major benefits over other fixes for cracked teeth.
- Dental implants reduce the likelihood that your tooth will crack again and cause more pain.
- They look and function exactly like your natural teeth with absolutely no limitations.
- Dental implants are a long-term fix that will not need to be replaced or repaired (unless there is another accident or more damage to the mouth)
- With a dental implant, the root is replaced too, so you will be able to maintain bone structure and strength.
Schedule an Appointment for Cracked Tooth Replacement in Rochester NY
Tooth replacement in Rochester for a cracked tooth is a safe, and effective method that promotes healing and long-term oral health. The experienced staff at Dental Implants & Periodontal Health of Rochester will help you through every step of the process. To schedule a consultation, give us a call at 585.685.2005 today.