One common question we hear is how often do I need to see my Periodontist? Once you begin to see your periodontal dentist Rochester, you will continue to schedule regular appointments to ensure that your periodontal disease is under adequate control. Most of our patients return for regularly scheduled periodontal appointments every 3 months.
Why You Need to See Your Periodontal Dentist Rochester Regularly
When you have active periodontal disease, you will need to see your periodontist at least four times a year. At the beginning of your treatment, your periodontist may request to see you more frequently.
Why Periodontal Maintenance Appointments are Necessary
It’s important to control periodontal disease to ensure that it doesn’t get worse. Ignoring or not treating periodontal disease quickly enough can result in gum recession, loose teeth or missing teeth, as well as other serious health issues, including systemic inflammation, heart disease, or poor blood sugar control.
Our general recommendation is that you schedule periodontal maintenance appointments every 3 months, however, there are some circumstances where we may recommend a different appointment schedule, especially if you are at the beginning of your periodontal treatment plan. This will depend on your type of periodontal disease, type of treatment outlined, how well your mouth responds to treatment, and the rate of plaque growth.
Of course, if you notice a change in your dental health in between appointments, don’t hesitate to contact your periodontist’s office before your next scheduled appointment. These changes include:
- Sudden or increased sensitivity to cold or hot items
- Gums becoming puffy or pulling away from teeth
- Bleeding occurring with brushing and flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing
- Pain in your jaw
- A sore in your mouth that isn’t healing
- Loose teeth
- Problems with your dentures, bridges, or dental implant
These are all fast indicators that you should make an appointment with your periodontal dentist, as soon as possible.
What to Expect During Your Quarterly Periodontal Appointment
When you schedule your periodontal maintenance appointment, you can expect the following:
- general health assessment – be sure to share any health changes with your periodontist
- evaluation or measure of pocket depth around your teeth
- assessment of oral hygiene habits – discuss instructions or recommend changes
- teeth cleaning to remove bacterial plaque and tartar followed by tooth polishing
- X-Rays, as needed, to evaluate your teeth and supporting bone structures and identify decay, cysts, bone loss
- evaluating your bite
- oral cancer screening
- examining for decay or other dental problems
- applying or prescribing medications for tooth sensitivity or infection
Your periodontal dentist Rochester will take time to address any concerns you have and discuss your treatment plans.
Contacting Dental Implants & Periodontal Health of Rochester
Caring for your smile is important and is something we love to do! At Dental Implants & Periodontal Health of Rochester, we make it our goal to provide our patients with results they will love and a smile that stays healthy and strong.
Dr. Zahavi and our amazing team understand that your dental care is never one-size-fits-all and always ensure that you receive the treatment that fits you best. For a consultation or to schedule your next checkup, contact us at 585-685-2005. We can’t wait to hear from you!